Monday, December 29, 2008

HP TouchSmart...



This is the expression I had when I powered up my new 22'' touchsmart PC. Yep. Grinning ear to ear. I can't say it was all surprise though... after all, I picked it out, purchased it, and wrapped it. I was however, quite surprised at how easy it was to get going right out of the box. No messy wires; all peripherals are bluetooth compatible. I plugged the coax into the back and the easy-to-use setup wizard walked me through configuring my TV. That's right, it's a TV too. It starts by asking for your zip code. It then connects to the internet to provide a list of cable providers in your area. You select your provider and it automatically downloads your channel line up and configures your guide. DVR is as easy as it is on your set top box, and it comes with a familiar remote control. Loaded with windows Vista and the latest office suite, it makes a nice homework center / YouTube toy too. When you consider the price of a 22" LCD TV with an integrated DVD Player and recorder, oh yeah, and a computer...the price is definitely right, perhaps even cheaper than purchasing the components separately, and it just happens to be the coolest thing around. Can't you tell by the look on my face??

2 comments:

Larry said...

We have a similar, less sophisticated system at our home.

Without the convenience of American Cable, we had to improvise.

I heart Internet.

Please allow me to share...

1. 42" LG XCanvas LCD TV Monitor
2. $400 special HP PC (ill-equipped with Vista)
3. Sony Bravia 5.1 Home Theater

Connections:
- VGA or DVI/HDMI to the LCD TV Monitor
- Fiber from HP to Bravia

Additional accessories:
- 4.7GhZ RF Keyboard w/ built-in roller ball mouse (30 ft range)
- Wireless G Network Adapter
- 1TB internal SATA HDD

Required:
- Bit-Torrent websites
- Bit-Torrent software
- Video watching software w/ Codecs (GOM Player is recommended)
- Lots of bandwidth and storage space

We practically download all our favorite shows, commercial free and some in HD quality. We literally have TB drives full of archived seasons. With this technique, you can be a little creative on what you are capable of watching.

I would be happy to go into more detail in private.

Mark said...

Umm, yeah. Please email the where and hows.