Monday, December 22, 2008

Almost There...






My knees are killing me and my back aches, but I'm nearly finished. I still have to add the crown molding and install the shower components. I'm waiting on the latter since I have to order most of the pieces from clawfoot supply. Once the other components are in I'll enjoy a nice soak. So, the punch list is getting smaller...

  • Install marble threshold
  • Install doors (closet and bathroom)
  • Grout the shower wall
  • Install shower ring
  • Install the shower fixture
  • Plumb tub drain and trap
  • Wall paper the hall
  • Install the crown molding
  • Finish painting the wainscoting
  • Caulk the baseboards
  • Paint the ceiling

So, all in all not too bad. I managed to get most of it done without any major complications other than the perpetual lack of energy and time. We did have one problem as a result of the master bath rebuild...We had planned on taking advantage of the low interest rates with a refinance. I locked in at a nice 4.7 % fixed rate. I stood to save myself a few hundred dollars a month, but the appraiser showed up when the bathroom was down to the studs with a hole in the floor. He could only calculate our homes value based on one bathroom. He said the value would obviously go up when the area was completed, based on quality of course; but the blow was devastating. With only the one bathroom we were $25,000 to $30,000 dollars off target. We could expect an easy $40,000 dollar return when the project is completed, but the timing couldn't have been worse. So, that $300 dollars a month I was counting on just became a casualty of procrastination. I wish that I had completed the bathroom sooner, but maybe it was fate. Maybe rates will dip even further and I'll save $350 a month.

No comments: