Friday, December 19, 2008

Drywall Complete


I've been asked several times why I don't do drywall. People will say "you guys do everything else, what is the problem with drywall?" My response is always the same...a mans got to know his limitations, and mine is drywall. Sure, it's relatively inexpensive at less than four dollars a sheet, but after many attempts, I'm convinced that finishing drywall is an art form perfected over time by skilled craftsman. For instance, when I got home Tuesday evening, I was puzzled by how the crew was able to hang the drywall, mud it, let it dry AND sand it...all in one day. Upon closer examination though, I found my answer. It had not been sanded. That's how unbelievably perfect they feathered the joints; it hadn't been sanded yet but it stilled looked better than my finished work, and they were in and out in two days. It would have taken me twice as long just to hang it. When considering the cost of time, hiring a pro to back you up just makes sense.

1 comment:

Larry said...

I've always honored patronizing ones profession or trade. Dry wall my friend, I do not consider a "hobby" and I feel the same about ANY home improvement project. You may think otherwise, but the same applies to painting. My wife suggested that I paint the house (before renting it) that needed touch up of white. Instead, I argued the fact that it would cost me twice as much and three times as long to get it done (with rollers and 10 gallons of paint) than it would for someone who was well equipped and experienced for the job. Sure it was an easy task, but time is money. Money I had, time I didn't (and patience). Within two days and two hallways, foyer, closet and a breakfast room/half the kitchen was complete for a mere $200. That was the best $200 well spent on a job like that. I inspected the work afterwards (again, I'm no professional, I don't know what flaws I would be looking for if there were any), but it was white and it was done, above and beyond my expectations, especially if I have done it myself.

Kudos to you, now you can finish your bathroom.