Friday, May 04, 2007

On Simplifying Life

I’m in a miserable rut. I work constantly, and there is never enough time in the day to do what needs to be done. I'm having a terrible time getting motivated to do anything, and living in our house in the condition it's in is difficult to say the least. I haven't been able to enjoy myself in a long time. Even if I take a weekend off for some downtime, I end up doing nothing and feeling guilty for it. I keep telling myself that if we can just get through this office overhaul, I'll relax some, maybe go to the beach. We bought a family pack of splash passes this year even though I’d wager we won’t use them once. We find it difficult to grocery shop much less cook, or do laundry for that matter. We eat out often enough that even the fare from our finest local establishments is uninspiring. We irresponsibly have pets that we don't have time to care for. Not being able to see light at the end of the tunnel is weighing heavily on me. Setting priorities has become increasingly more difficult, and getting out of bed in the mornings is a challenge in itself. I filter through mountains of unkempt clothing every morning trying to find something suitable to wear to work, and it never seems to get any easier. I'm throwing down the gauntlet and making a conscious decision to simplify my life, to take time for myself and my children. Experts agree that simplifying ones life is the easiest way to become more productive. It's often suggested that we cut out activities that aren't consistent with our core values. I know I need to stop spending time to save money. Instead, I should be spending money to save time. I shouldn't spend an entire weekend putting up drywall when I can have a crew do it in six hours for less than 400 dollars. It's not worth my time. I've also decided that I'll plan for a weekend that doesn't involve work, to spend more time with my family and with folks that make some kind of positive contribution to my life. I'm going to stop spending time with people who drain what little energy I have left. If you're a needy friend or relative, sorry...I'll catch up with you later. I'm not going to focus any of my time on things I can't control. I'm not going to worry about what our contemptible competitors are up to. I'm not going to check my stock portfolio every day anymore. I'm going to cut back on the extra curricular activities my over-stimulated kids are involved with. If they need a day planner when their ten, their too damn busy. I'm going to take time for a glass of wine and an evening walk. Maybe I'll go fishing. Anybody know of a good home for a two year old border collie?

No comments: