Thursday, April 26, 2007

Staging the New Bathroom


My to do list continues to grow at an alarming pace. I worry that I may never be able to complete all of the remodeling jobs that have made it onto the short list. I began to prioritize them last week and it has become overwhelming to say the least. What ends up happening is that I have to place business related projects on the top of the list, but in an inevitable catch-22, we can't shut down operations long enough to complete them. One of the projects on the top of the list is the lab bathroom. It must be remodeled for handicap accessibility. This is a total overhaul that includes busting up concrete to relocate waste pipes. This isn't an overnighter. I have decided that the easiest way to handle such a project is to plan it to the letter, pre-purchase all of the required material, and stage-assemble everything for fit in a mocked up work area prior to removing a single nail in the existing bathroom. I have learned from experience that what drags a project into do-it-yourself purgatory is being unprepared for the unexpected. Having to run back and forth to the hardware store for the correct plumbing fitting two or three times adds hours to the effort. Staging can eliminate a great deal of this. When I built our kitchen island, I staged it in the living room; placing painters tape on the floor to locate walls and pipes. When I moved the finished product into the new space, it was completed inside of an hour. All I had to do was tack down the shoe molding. I plan to take the same approach with the lab bathroom. As such, I have staged everything in the living room again. I have ordered everything except for the doors, which I manged to find at Maner supply on Cross County Road. I needed ADA compliant solid core prehung doors, not cheap...and not light either. They have metal frames and weigh at least a hundred pounds. I'm picking them up this afternoon. Staging has already paid off, I found that my kids had left the lid off of the plumbers putty, allowing it to harden. If I had been in the middle of the remodel, I would have had to stop to make a trip to the store. The diagram to the left shows the new layout.

No comments: