Thursday, April 12, 2007

Late Freeze Spoils SC Peach Crop

The unexpected Easter freeze seems to have devastated the palmetto states peach crop, a reported 35 million dollar annual production and the second largest peach crop in the nation. California is the first. I feel for the upstate farmers. An April freeze attacks bud growth, usually spelling disaster for their fruit. I live a block away from the farmers market in Summerville, and I frequent the market every Saturday morning with my kids. The opening of the market in April marks the perennial start of the growing season, and its close in October wraps up the local harvest with the traditional bounty of fall; squash, pumpkins, and corn. In the summer though, fresh Carolina peaches are always a favorite with my family. I'm convinced that my youngest can devour half her body weight in peaches. I may have to boycott those California Peaches this year, they're just not the same as stone fruit from the upstate. Although they vary from growing season to growing season, I find the western varieties not so appealing in the taste department, arguably the most important characteristic for fruit of any kind if you ask me. The California ones are clearly beautiful specimens to behold, but I'll take a dent or two for a Carolina peach bursting with flavor and aroma any day. Fruit is not unlike honey in that it takes on a subtle flavor distinction from its indigenous surroundings, and because this is obviously Gods country, our crops taste, well...divine. I can only pray that our berries held out, what kind of summer would it be without fresh local berries?

No comments: