Saturday, January 27, 2007

Planning for the Master Bath



Well, I've put it off long enough. It's time to start the master bath. I have put this project on the back burner because we just finished a major kitchen over-haul, and I just couldn't bring myself to start another large scale project. The tub was refinished and has been sitting in our "sitting room" since before Christmas. We use it to store clean clothes. I have been doing some research and found a nice source for vintage plumbing components. I'm thinking if the budget will allow it, I'll get a free standing cast shower. I had considered building a steam shower, but at this point I just want to take the path of least resistance, and this really seems to suit the style I'm going for. I think we will stick with the oil rubbed bronze finish that we used in the kitchen. I'm also considering a 5" ebony maple engineered flooring product. It's easier to just start with a clean slate. The pine tongue-n-groove is nice, but there are a few walls that need to come down and the flooring that is installed now is not contiguous. I think we'll start methodically with the sawzall, remove the two interior walls that make up the closet, remove the baseboards and trim, and cut the old shower enclosure out. I need to plan it properly so that we have minimal shower downtime, since the other bathroom only has the clawfoot tub. I'll be sure to take a good series of before, during, and after photos.

No comments: