Wednesday, November 29, 2006

The King of Crown

I Love the look of crown molding, but cutting the stuff takes some practice. The first time I tried, I asked a friend who was an experienced trim guy to give me the run down on how to install the elusive ceiling topper. He explained to me his coping technique, as in using a coping saw to back cut the profile. I never did get it. I eventually sat down with a protractor and two eight feet sections of crown, and I cut a multitude of different angle pairs until I went through all sixteen feet of trim. I finally figured it out. I then made myself an inside and outside saw guide to help me remember how to set the saw up, but I rarely need it any more. I should note
that although I have crowned my entire house, I still don't consider myself a solid trim guy. After all, there is a huge difference between paint and stain grade trim....and if a good trim guy can make bad carpenter took adequate, a good painter can make a bad trim guy look great. I'll post a drawing of my saw template, but perhaps a look at these techniques might be more beneficial...



No comments: